Add me on Facebook! Follow me on Instagram! Subscribe to RSS Subscribe via Email
JC Ang  /  Thursday, October 08, 2015  /  No comments
So, I randomly bought a sketchbook a few weeks back from Fully Booked. Nothing fancy but I always wanted to own one. Not for me to doodle on or anything but for those talented individuals I have met and will hopefully get the chance to meet at upcoming pop culture gatherings.

Toy and comic conventions are usually filled with these amazing artists and I've always wanted to have a piece of their works for my personal keeps. Hence, the sketchbook! Wuoo!

I was eyeing out on these Batman designed Moleskine sketchbooks but decided against them after seeing the same ones from my friends. It seems that they easily looked used up after a couple of handling and the paper quality seemed too thin for my liking.
Too bad as these Moleskine notebooks would have been perfect for my theme!

Moving on, I saw this thick Monologue sketchbook that looked like it will last for years. It felt like the pages will remain intact and secure even after a number of  use. The pages seemed thick enough, as well. I'm not familiar with paper qualities and all but I think these thick textured pages are intended to be used for water colored pieces. Even the artists that drew for my project complimented the quality of my notebook and that's gotta mean something! Haha!
The sketchbook that I got!
Now, enough with the darn sketchbook and off to the first few sketch entries inside! Oh, as with this post title, the theme of my project is Joker, my all time favorite villain. Why Joker? Well, I would love to have as many Batman sketches but there are a lot of people doing that theme already. I decided to go with the Joker just so I can differentiate my notebook from the rest. Also, I heard from some artists that Batman is so easy to draw (Oh, how I envy those talented folks!) but a Joker portrait is somehow challenging. So, there!

First up is Aaron Felizmenio's take on the Clown Prince! I first saw his Batman related works at the #TDKPH Facebook group and instantly became a fan! I messaged him to order a print and asked if I could ask for a Joker sketch. I wanted his work to be the first entry on my project and I would not let others touch my notebook before him! His reply? "Pressured to ah!" Haha! 
Second entry was from Jovenal Mendoza. He is #TDKPH's artist of the month and true enough, he deserves the title. I was really shy to approach him for a sketch as he was busy working on some pieces at the time. Turns out that he's really a great guy and even had a small talk with him while he was working on my notebook. He said that animation was his first love and later on moved to working on comic book characters. Really love his take on the Joker below!
JC Fabul was the only artist at the #TDKPH booth at Komiket when I first arrived. I silently browsed the prints available at the table and just stood there watching him work on a commission. He then greeted me with a "Hello" and directed me to which of the prints was his. I replied with a big WOW! These were the works that was featured in our Facebook group! I immediately reserved a copy of his Batman print and asked for a sketch later on! WIN-WIN!
It was really great to be able to start my project with these great folks! Gives me some sort of accomplishment to actually have a starting point as I've always been shy to approach them at conventions. Haha!

Anyway, I'm splitting this into two posts as I'm running late for work! Arghh! I really enjoyed sharing the works above, though. Watch out for the next entries in my notebook! 

JC ANG SIGNING OFF! CIAO!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search